07 October 2008

Ok, I've got to say this...

In less than a month, we come to the climax of our "every 4 years" insanity. We will choose a new individual to lead the country...for the next four years. Every election season we are told that this is a "crossroads in America", we have tough choices to make, and the fate of the free world is in our hands. Ok, that can't ALWAYS be true. Challenges yes. Most challenging time ever?? Maybe not.

But, we are faced with a unique situation this election. We are in rough economic times, and that's putting it mildly. Many feel we aren't helping the little guy, while we "bail out" the big corporations. Many feel the current administration has handled Iraq poorly, as well as Afghanistan, and a host of foreign and domestic issues. Some feel you should only look forward, some say you must look back at causes to move forward intelligently. Some think we are not talking to average folks enough...other want average folks to be in charge. Well, we've had that and it hasn't worked out so well.

I am very concerned that someone would run for office on a wink, a smile, a "you betcha", and little else. That they would attack others about old issues that have been discussed to death, that they would call someone a terrorist because of their skin color, that they would allow supporters to scream about killing the opponent and not bat an eyelash. I am concerned that anyone would think it's ok to lie in order to make someone seem questionable, yet have no take on a host of crises that are affecting us all. Oh, ideas perhaps, but nothing concrete. Concrete is the mud slinging, lies, fear mongering.

I was impressed with the panel on Meet the Press this past week. They proved that you can actually have a conversation, an honest discourse, and not come to blows or call each other names or lie. It was refreshing, it was proof that we can talk and have differing views and not decide that a line has been drawn. Conversation and genuine disagreement are lost these days. It's not new, but it adds to the divide at a time when we need to remember than this country is OURS, not MINE, not YOURS, but ours. And how we act and the choices we make affect us all. This US vs THEM crap is just that. We belittle, rant, create fear, lie, perpetuate the divide to the detriment of us all. And to the idea that we are not in a position to lead in the world? We have fallen in what others think of us, we have fallen in our standing in education and health issues...just to name a couple. Some argue that it doesn't matter what the rest of the world thinks. In the age of global economy and commerce...it does matter.

I want a President and Vice President who are educated and understand that first impressions are lasting. I want people who are better educated than I am. I am not interested in having a beer with those in the administration...I look to them for leadership, calm demeanor, the ability to speak intelligently and still get their point across to all of us, and a care and concern for all, not just the poor, not just the wealthy. I do NOT want officials that think because their state is between two foreign countries they have foreign policy experience. I don't want a group of folks who think they are each "mavericks"...how many different directions will we go in then??

Yeah...Obama/Biden is my choice. Neither Mr. McCain or Mrs. Palin speak for me, nor share my views. Regardless what you think, remember that your vote is your voice. Use it.

No comments: