It's a metaphor, "dodging a bullet". Usually, it's a fair sized bullet that's dodged if you use the metaphor. And here's why I've used it today...
Eight years ago, I missed out on something that would have been deadly. Instead of waiting until age 50 to have a colonoscopy, my gastro doc wanted to do one when I was 47. Came up in a conversation with him for something unrelated. But he suggested doing one then, rather than waiting 3 more years. I gritted my teeth. Not what I wanted to hear. But I agreed, and I did it. And if I hadn't, I'm not sure I'd be here today.
He found 2 polyps, one precancerous. 2cm in size it was. It would have become cancer. Maybe before I was 50...well, I'm guess that it would have. And at 50, if I'd waited, I'd have had colon cancer...the disease that killed my grandfather many years ago...at the age of 62. And, since there was a precancerous polyp, I'd have another procedure in 3 years, yep...at age 50. That happened in 2000. Better diagnosis...one polyp, benign. I could wait 5 years until the next one.
And that happened yesterday. New state, new doc. New junk to drink that tasted ok for a change, but was lousy on the gut. A former Navy medic did the IV and made it almost painless (I've had horrible IV experiences and I freak out if it goes badly). Once I know the IV is ok, I'm ok. Well, better than ok it turns out. No polyps...none. Great news.
My grandfather is not the only person I've know to die of colon cancer...we had a friend that died the year I had my first procedure. She was 53. It's a lousy way to die. You lose weight, you feel weak and sick. And then you're gone. Too soon.
But, like I said...I dodged that bullet. But this is a cancer that you can beat, if you stay ahead of the game. You see the ads...yeah the prep for it isn't much fun. The procedure is actually not bad...an IV, nice drugs. Then you wake up and go one with your life. I gave my daughter away this year when she got married (for the second time, wasn't at the 1st). In 2006 I was present at the birth of my grandson (my younger daughter who lives close by). I've lived to see this insane race for the White House. I've shared over 13 years with a wonderful human being.
All that would have been cut short if not for that first step, 8 years ago. While I would rather not have to go through this, I'm glad that I have. Cause I beat it. Maybe someone will see this and do what I did...and it will save a life. It saved mine.
26 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Charlotte,
Good post. We have a friend, age 65, who wasn't feeling well recently, feeling lightheaded and faint. Finally went to the doctor to have a colonoscopy, turned out she was having internal bleeding. Ended up in the hospital where they did the colonoscopy and it turned out she had advanced colon cancer.
Surgery went well, now she's having chemo for six months.
Don't put off the tests.
I will always do the tests when recommended by the doctor. With it running in the family, I'm taking no chances.
Post a Comment