23 August 2007

What's YOUR pet peeve?

I imagine we all have several things that peeve, annoy, or just drive us crazy. Right now, mine is "news". Just what IS news? I think of weather, sports scores, local and national political sound bites(although some honest substance would be so much better), famine, epidemics...you get the idea.

So, what ISN'T news? I guess that's up to someone other than me. I see LOTS of junk slung in with actual news. No, I don't consider Ms Spears or Ms Lohan to be news. I don't care what Mel Gibson said to who. Ditto Tom Cruise. This is fodder for shows that report on celebrities, things that I can choose NOT to watch. But in the news? Are you kidding?

What happened to the news of Ed Murrow and Walter Cronkite? Huntley and Brinkley? Can you imagine any of these fellows reporting on celebrity stories like these? Yes, I can see stories of human interest, donations to charities or social causes. Of course, you get reports on the passing of these folks. No, I don't object to that. What I do object to is arrogant, willful, thoughtless behaviour...and personally I don't want to hear it or see it, especially on the evening news.

Flooding, trapped miners, forest fires, endangered species, baseball, football...NEWS. When did we loose track of what was news? When did yellow journalism come back in fashion? When did the gossip of the old movie magazines move to the evening news? More importantly...when the heck will it fade away again??

No comments: