09 August 2007

The sizzle of Summer

No, not here. Although we did have one day that it hit 102, it was about a month ago. We've had a few days in the 90s, but I think much of the country would complain if I said it had been hot here. It hasn't. It's August and we've been in the 70s much of the time...in fact we've been in the 60s some, earlier this week. It was 59 with a cool breeze when I got up this morning. Yes it really is summer...just ask someone in Dallas, or St. Louis, or Baltimore. Lots of heat, lots of humidity, tornadoes in New York City. GLOBAL WARMING, ANYONE?

Ok, now that that's said...our Autumn started late in July. Even for me that's weird. I'm used to leaves changing color in October, gone in November. But, that's Oklahoma, where they're near 100 today. In beautiful Oregon we've seen colors begin to change in August since moving here three years ago...faithfully, in August, around the middle of the month. So imagine my surprise when I noticed faint changes of color late in July. I thought it was my glasses...but I'm seeing more and more every day.

Now, I love Autumn...it's my favorite season. But winters here can be long (if not freezing cold), and Spring pushes back to May...so the growing season can seem short. The life of a leaf certainly is short...if it's now free falling toward a blaze of color. The difference here is that leaf color lasts a good two or three months. Yes, things are suddenly stark in mid to late November, but the trip is certainly worth it. My point is that it seems we just went past the "new leaf" season, and now they're changing colors! It's an observation, not a complaint. I would not trade the cool days and cloudy skies for anything, rain or not.

No photo today, just the mental image of cool fall days with a good breeze. Those of you in the warmer climates...enjoy that thought.

No comments: