29 December 2006

This and That

I don't do movies; that is, I don't go to theaters. I get motion sick. And it doesn't take much. So, Netflix is our friend and a well paid one at that. If there is a down side, it's that we see films long after they were released. It may take a while to see what "all the talk" was about. Still, I enjoy the advantages of home...your own snacks, freezing the film when necessary, good seats always, and a nearby bathroom.

That said, we just watched The Da Vinci Code. I was set not to be impressed; I expected lots of blood and gore and I just hate that sort of thing. Surprise! The violence was appropriate to the story line...as far as I can tell. It was an interesting story, with a couple of very interesting twists. And the story, and the actors, were the stars. Not so much on the special effects. Refreshing!

I grew up in the cold war of the 1950s. Well, I was a small child then. I was a teenager during Vietnam and flower power, the "tune in, turn on, drop out" psyched out 1960s. I'm not sure any of those things shaped me as much as WWII. No, I was born well after that war. But I find myself more defined, more impacted personally by that than the conflicts/wars that came after. It is a period in history that fascinates me, a time when we all worked toward a common goal. Far from the divided country we are now. I think on this with the passing of President Ford. I didn't vote for him, but I didn't have a strong dislike for him. Like much of the country I was not thrilled with the pardon of Nixon, but the passage of time seems to have proved that to be the wise choice. Ford had friends on both sides of the aisle and this made a great difference once he became President. How different to strive to unite, instead of stubbornly dividing.

Well, this and that...stuff...ramblings for a late night at the end of another year. Some random thoughts, disjointed, but there just the same. Nothing profound, just some observations that mattered to me. 2007, those years starting with "2" still seem odd and I often don't think of the 1960s as being so long ago. Time, as they say, marches on. Happy New Year.

No comments: