13 December 2006

Bah? Humbug?

Yes, the calendar is winning. It's mid-December and I'm struggling with that. Somehow I did manage to get two packages out in the mail today. With any luck, they will arrive next week, safe and sound and before Christmas. This lethargy is not new. I have lost the desire to get cheery and all for the holiday. I have been in the mall a couple of times, but during the week only. In fact, everywhere I've "shopped" has been during the week; I will not go to the mall on the weekend...not now.

Interestingly, in spite of my aversion to the shopping crowds of Christmas, I have NOT done all my shopping online. I may look for things online, then check to see if it's available in the store nearby, but no ordering online. I love looking at Christmas lights, driving through the neighborhoods and just enjoying the sights. But I don't like the commercialism...all things Christmas out in August as if Christmas were a month away. And, there CAN be too many Christmas lights...be tasteful, not gaudy. And please, use some color...red, blue, green, gold. Not just white. Ah, but that's me.

With dog, we must rethink Christmas tree too. So we have a live one, maybe 4 feet tall (that's generous). We will do a few lights, ornaments and the like and when the day is gone, the tree gets planted in the front yard. A "forever" Christmas tree.

Still, the calendar is racing toward the end of the year and I'm not ready. Must buy food that will be fixed the 24th. Must mail cards, personal and business...must sign and address first, add notes to some...especially the family ones. Brain cells that are slowly waking and must kick into high gear. Soon. The end of the year is coming, and I'm being steamrollered by a calendar on the way. Bah. Humbug.

1 comment:

Libbi said...

Boy, do I relate, Charlotte! All we did this year was to string (well, that's the royal 'we', it was all David's work, not mine!) icicle lights around the outside of the house and put tiny lights around the windows in the dining room, sunroom and living room. No tree here; we really don't have the room, and we'd be tempting the cats too much if we did.

Still, I'm looking forward to the Solstice and the return of light!