23 November 2006

Thanksgiving, and still raining

It's Thanksgiving for a few more hours...and the meal is over, the dishes done, the football watched. The food and company were both excellent. there was much to be thankful for...the roof over our heads, our children, the food and our ability to prepare it, the fact that we had food to prepare. We were also thankful for the crisp fall weather, the snow in the mountains, and even the rain...although it can stop for a while, really. Or, we'd love to share it with parts of the country where they continue to have drought conditions.

But it's November, and the rainy season is here. The rain, the holiday season, Christmas lights popping out as if Thanksgiving is the signal to appear. And, while I do love the holidays, I'd like it to be a tad less commercial, the stores are full of music, items already on sale, and people. I don't think I'll hit the malls any time soon. But, I'll still enjoy the season. I'll listen to some of the music, spend money on gifts, make holiday meals. But I'll stop more often just to talk to the people who matter in my life. I'll enjoy the change of seasons, throw another log on the fire, and just be glad that I'm alive...and that my family and friends do much to sustain me; I hope I do the same for them. Just the chance to notice the small moments of each day.

No comments: