12 November 2006

Politics and statesmanship

Happened again a week ago, there was a shift in political representation...in the federal government, and some state and local arenas as well. I have heard lots of things about this, who changed their votes since 2004, what the thoughts behind the changes were, and what, if anything, the changes meant.

Personally I think that we swing from extreme to extreme over time, and then find ourselves back near the center. The extremes are just that, and cannot sustain power over time. They are finally seen as too radical, too exclusive, too far from too many of us. Religion is a good example. The Puritan ethic has never truly left us, and the more conservative side of life believes that it's the right thing for all of us. I was never lead to believe that "freedom of religion" meant that I was free to practice what someone else chose. Freedom of religion, I thought, meant I could be Catholic, Muslim, an atheist, if it was my choice. And, the right to make that choice was mine alone, not something left to someone else.

Freedom of speech meant we could criticize, not agree with the government, and not be penalized for saying so. What happened to the art of debate, of discussion varying view points? How did we get so polarized? I hope this election, and the move to a more centered position, not the neocon, not the ultra-radical proves to be a change for the good of the majority. We are not red or blue, but Americans. And if that's true, we should applaud efforts to help all of us, not just a few. We claim to have a government of the people, by the people, and for the people...not lobbyists, not just the wealthy, not just anyone...but everyone. Otherwise, we don't survive as a people.

Honor diversity, respect the opinions of others, care for the less fortunate, grow the goodwill that we have lost in the world. We cannot survive by excluding large chunks of the populace; we cannot survive if we do not work together to solve our problems.

These elections said we wanted change. Then, let there be change...positive change. No finger pointing, no divisiveness, no isolation. America, land of the free...home of the brave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word!!