06 July 2009

Random thoughts


First, the weather. Several days of upper 80s to upper 90s have given way to clouds, mist, and a very nice breeze. Cool is back...which is why we love the Pacific Northwest!
Second, color. This dahlia sits in a pot in our back yard. I love it for it's shape and it's range of colors. Color...nothing like mother nature to provide lots of it. Man? Tends, by and large, to limit color. Yes, we have all seen the bold folk with a purple house, or a blue house with blue trim. Rather than applaud, we ask ourselves what the heck they were thinking. So, not all color is appropriate everywhere. At least that's what conventional wisdom would say. So, we may go bold on a house, or with interior walls...but what about our cars? White is about the most popular color (shows dirt sooo easily too). Black, red, blue, silver. The occasional gold or metallic soft brown. No, I'm not advocating the oranges and lime greens of the early 70s. Still, our color palettes are boring. I do not think "dahlia pink" is a good color for a car. But we see so many cars every day. Wouldn't it be nice to have some variance in color? Think about it.
Third...Sarah Palin. As a woman, I'm embarrassed. Palin is catty, nakedly ambitious, uninformed, certain that we all really want to embrace conservative values. Wow...not so much. I do not want to shoot wolves, moose, or anything else from a helicopter or a plane. I am not against abortion regardless of circumstance. I can name the newspapers and magazines I read. I would not call only those who agree with me "true Americans". I would not advocate abstinence only knowing my daughter was pregnant; I would not drag my family to all campaign events then be upset when media bring them into the conversation. I would not accuse someone else of "palling around with terrorists", nor would I try to paint opposing viewpoints as anti-American. I will only add that I hope her time in the garish spotlight is ending and we can all move on. She needs to understand that she doesn't represent all Americans. And it is wrong to make us all over in the image of any one person's ideals. William F. Buckley was conservative, but he was also a thinker. Conservative and religious conservatives are not exactly the same thing. I won't mess with you, so please...leave me alone. My liberal leaning suit me just fine.
Fourth...ah...it was a very nice 4th of July. Family, clear skies, music, fireworks. Patriotism, love of country, joy in the birthday of America. No politics, just a celebration. Here's hoping yours was safe and happy.

1 comment:

Libbi said...

I haven't been checking Blogspot for months, Char, and just read through your last few (wonderful) posts. So glad your daughter is here in Portland now!