07 March 2007

Celebrating at the beach


Here we are at Cannon Beach celebrating my 54th birthday. It was fairly cloudy, a bit windy, but warmer than many times I've been there, later in the spring. So it was a great birthday, celebrating with Pat and Ginger. For the first time, Ginger went right into the waves, no fear. And she barked at kites and birds, and howled when the birds flew away. She's definitely a spaniel!
Just a really nice day to get away, to revitalize, to let the brain clear of all the gunk that invades daily. While we love the mountains, there is just something about the ocean that pulls us back again and again. The air is full of salt spray and the waves hypnotize you. The sound and the motion are constant and in a way, restful. The ocean remains our favorite destination, even if only for the day.
So, now I'm 54. I won't dwell on that other than to say that sometimes it feels like my 30s were yesterday. Other times, they were a thousand years ago. The good news? I'm still alive, still kicking, still enjoying that day at the beach.

2 comments:

Libbi said...

Happy birthday, Char! (And, if this helps, I turned fifty-nine in December, so you're really quite young!)

Cam said...

Well, perhaps not "quite young", but not as old as I think, I'm sure. Of course, mentally I'm MUCH younger!