Are you in a rut? Maybe it's a routine. Are they the same thing?
To me, a rut is a routine that is past it's prime. Doing the same things over and over and being stuck..whether day to day, long term, relationship-wise.
So, I have a routine. I'm the first one up most mornings. Me and the cats. So we leave the bedroom and open the office curtains and watch the birds in the crabapple. I do a bit of work, play around on the computer, have some coffee. It's quiet; dog is still asleep and so is Pat. The cats trek outside for a bit, knowing dog is not loose. I watch the sky, the birds, check email and see what's new in the world. I have another cup of coffee, dash out to get the newspapers in the front yard. It's a comfortable routine. I get some quiet time and a chance to view a slice of nature waking each morning.
I have my ruts too. Parking in front of the tube in the evening, dinner always late. I don't hate it, but it's inertia and that's hard to fight against. More effort is needed...out to dinner, a concert, a play. Or even out of town...to the beach.
We have had a disruption in our routine, with mom visiting to see the great-grandson. After 9 days of abnormal routines, there is an odd comfort getting back to the norm. And the month old child will likely rest a little more with less stimulation. Here's hoping he has a quiet week. Dog is more of a challenge...and back to HER routine!
26 February 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment