Right...reality programming. What could be more unreal? The Bachelor, Survivor, Fear Factor. YUCK! There is nothing real about these situations and it's appalling that people watch this crap. No, I'm not fond of such...I will admit to Extreme Makeover Home Addition and it's not because I like Ty Pennington. It's nice to see that there is some good and caring left in this country. And, for amusement...Dancing with the Stars. Some of these celebs are good, others aren't and freely admit it, and some are in denial.
Reality for me is a chance to escape the worries of my everyday world and see something that makes me laugh. Something with good acting and a real story line. Yes, I know...everyone is different with regards to these things; they are all subjective. So, I offer one that is no longer on the air, and wasn't even produced in this country. "As Time Goes By" appears on PBS, a British comedy starring Dame Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer. A couple who met during the Korean War, lost touch, and resurfaced 38 years later...he divorced, she widowed. Maybe it's that interesting British sense of humor...less visual slapstick and more turn of phrase and facial expression. It's a nice reality and I'm glad to have found it. For me, these are real people. The situation is believable and so are they and their supporting players...all wonderful.
Good slapstick? Fine comic timing? Lucille Ball, Carol Burnett. Rapid fire words? Thought provoking? All in the Family, Mash. The family as comedy? Mary Tyler Moore. Reality? They created a world that was real, situations that were believable, and proved that life is FUNNY. No laugh track necessary.
Ok the best reality show? Fall in Oregon. The beginning of the rainy season, leaves starting to turn, chilly nights and cool breezes. Mother Nature. She does the best reality...
09 September 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm with you, my sistah!
Post a Comment